Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) training provides a structured learning environment for multidisciplinary groups to develop the skills, teamwork, and organisation necessary to effectively manage all cardiac emergencies.
ACLS training has been clearly demonstrated to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with heart disease and specifically that of the most critical of emergencies, cardiac arrest.
ACLS provider training is essential for all critical care healthcare professionals involved in the provision of emergency cardiac care, especially doctors, nurses and paramedics.[toggle title=”Am I eligible to take this course?”]
It is intended for healthcare professionals who provide critical care to patients in a wide variety of settings, including in-hospital and pre-hospital locations.
These healthcare providers may include (but are not limited to) Consultants, Registrars, Senior House Officers, Interns, Medical Students, General Practitioners, Dentists, Clinical Nurse Managers, Nurses, Paramedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, Cardiac Technicians, Cardiac Rehabilitation Staff, Respiratory Therapists, Physiotherapists and other Allied Healthcare Personnel.
[/toggle] [toggle title=”What content is covered on this course?”]
- VT / VF with CPR and an AED
- Basic & Advanced Airway Adjuncts
- Respiratory Emergencies
- Electrical Therapy / Defibrillation
- Transcutaneous Pacing / Electrical Cardioversion
- Rhythm Recognition
- Medications in ACLS
- Refractory VT / VF
- Pulseless Electrical Activity
- Asystole / Ethical Aspects of Resuscitation
- Stable and Unstable Tachycardia (2 Sessions)
- Putting it All Together Practice Sessions
- Running a Code
- Acute Coronary Syndromes (physician presentation)
- Acute Ischaemic Stroke (physician presentation)
- 2 days (8-6pm)
- Completion of the pre-course MCQ and preparation checklist included on the student CD enclosed in the ACLS provider manual.
- Actively participate in, practice, and complete all skills and learning stations
- Pass an ACLS Megacode Test as Team Leader.
- Demonstrate competence in the performance of Basic Life Support (BLS) skills such as one and two rescuer CPR, incorporating the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
- Score a minimum grade (84% or higher) on the final Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) paper.
Participants, who successfully complete the course, including the written examination and skills evaluation, will receive an American Heart Association / Irish Heart Foundation ACLS provider course completion card (credential). This accreditation is recognised in over 50 countries throughout the world.
[/toggle] [toggle title=”Who instructs on this course?”] Our highly-experienced Instructors come from an Irish healthcare setting and all remain in day-to-day clinical practice. They are regarded as experts in their field and have a proven ability to teach. CODE BLUE is a registered and approved Irish Heart Foundation / American Heart Association training site. Course certificates can only be issued to approved and registered training sites where the currently certified Instructors carry full public and professional liability insurance.
[/toggle] [toggle title=”What materials/textbooks do I get?”]
The following materials are delivered to the candidate’s work address by registered courier.
- ACLS Provider Manual
- 2008 Handbook of Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Course Programme
- Criteria for Successful Completion
- exclusive ECG Rhythm Recognition Tutorial
- Pre-course Rhythms Quiz
- Pre-course MCQ Quiz
- Course Tips & Tricks
American Heart Association website
- Acute Coronary Syndromes video
- Acute Ischaemic Stroke video
- ACLS Science Overview video
This course is eligible for up to XX hours of face-to-face CPD and up to XX hours of online CPD.
More information on Medical Council and An Bord Altranais[/toggle] Book now