The APLS course provides the knowledge and skills necessary for recognition and effective treatment and stabilisation of children with life threatening emergencies, using a structured, sequential approach. The course is taught, and it’s principles, are practised throughout the world, with over 85,000 people who have completed the course since its inception in 1993.
The APLS course comprises of a flexible on-line component (VLE) and a 2-day Face-to-Face course. Students who have taken the course include Consultants, Advanced Nurse Practitioners and Resuscitation Training Officers from Accident & Emergency, Anaesthetic and Paediatric departments.
PLEASE NOTE: the ALSG VLE Tutorials MUST be completed before attending the course. This element can take from 4 to 10 hours. No exceptions are made.
This course is intended for healthcare professionals who work in paediatrics and who manage paediatric emergencies on a regular basis. These people may include (but are not limited to) Consultants, Registrars, Senior House Officers, Clinical Nurse Managers, Nurses, Resuscitation Officers and Advanced Paramedics.
– Healthcare professional (Doctor, Nurse, Paramedic)
– Basic Life Support Certification eg. BLS Healthcare Provider or equivalent
– Experience of managing paediatric emergencies is strongly recommended.
Instructor & DVD-led skills demonstration and practice sessions that include:
Primary and secondary paediatric assessment, Recognition of respiratory distress/failure, Airway management and ventilation, Needle thoracocentesis, chest drain, surgical airway, Recognition of shock, IV/IO/Umbilical vascular access and fluid resuscitation, Basic life support, Newborn resuscitation, Electrical therapy/Defibrillation, Spinal injury/immobilisation, Safe transfer of patients.
2 days, 8 hours per day.
Criteria for Successful Completion
– Completion of the Online VLE e-modules and the associated assessments at least 48 hours before the course. The VLE modules are expected to take between 4 to 10 hours.
– Continuous Assessment.
– Actively participate in, practice, and complete all skills and learning stations.
– Demonstrate competency in patient assessment and management.
– Demonstrate competency as a team leader in 3 simulated paediatric emergency cases (Medical-Trauma-Cardiac).
– Demonstrate competence in the performance of Basic Life Support (BLS) skills.
Students, who successfully complete the course, including the written examination and skills evaluation, will receive an ALSG APLS Certificate, valid for 4 years.
Our highly-experienced Instructors come from a paediatric background, ED, anaesthesia and critical care nursing. All remain in day-to-day clinical practice where they regularly train and carry out these skills. They are regarded as experts in their field and have a proven ability to teach. Codeblue is a registered and approved ALSG training site. Course certificates can only be issued to approved and registered training sites where the currently certified Instructors carry full public and professional liability insurance.
Students will receive the following materials to their work address via registered courier.
– APLS Provider Manual
– Online VLE enrolment key
– 2 Day Course Programme
– Criteria for Successful Completion
ALSG VLE Tutorials (MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE THE COURSE). No exceptions are made. This takes a minimum of 4 to 10 hours, if you arrive for the face to face component of the course without completing your VLE your options are:
– Go home. (no APLS cert, no observer’s cert, no CPD/CEU credits. You will get a receipt of payment but not successful completion).
– Stay and observe. (no APLS cert. You will get an observer’s cert and CPD/CEU credits only if you stay for the full 2 days. You will get a receipt of payment but not successful completion).
In neither case will you get a refund of your fees. You may complete the VLE at a later date and use it against another APLS course. Code Blue will discount the cost of the VLE from your next full APLS course fee. We cannot guarantee that another training site will do the same.
All Codeblue courses are eligible for CPD/CEU points. The exact number of points you can claim depends on what your occupation/speciality is. This course is eligible for up to 16 hours of face-to-face CPD/CEU’s. More information on CPD/CEU credits can be found on Medical Council and Irish Nursing & Midwifery Board.
Codeblue Training Centre, Unit 127 Slaney Road, Dublin Industrial Estate, Glasnevin, Dublin, D11 TX86